In many ways, book lovers are like normal people. We have friends and jobs and get by life like everyone else. But secretly, we bookworms are living in a magic world of books unknown to the muggles. When we are not reading (which is rare, TBH!) we are most definitely thinking about books, talking about books, dreaming about books, sniffing books, browsing books or buying books. Too much bookish banter? No one said ever! (atleast in our top secret, magic world).
Of course, with lots of magic comes a little bit of weirdness. So today I am going to spill the beans on some of the quirks of bookworms that are weird to non-bookish people but absolutely relatable to all book lovers.
What are some of the weird habits of all #booklovers? Here is a handy guide for all others to better understand the #bookworm in your life!Tweet
1. Cancelling plans to stay at home and read.
Not always, but sometimes the books are way more interesting than people. And honestly, there is just NEVER ENOUGH TIME to read, so we have to get our priorities straight 🤷♀️
2. Daydream about visiting beautiful libraries around the world and/or having your stunning personal library of the future.
Aren’t libraries just beautiful and magical? Being surrounded by all that literary goodness and smell of old books – its stuff bookish dreams are made up of!
3. Judging people and getting personally and deeply offended when someone says they don’t read that much
EXCUSE ME? You have never read anything except course books? Are you even human? How are you even living?!!
4. Read multiple books simultaneously
Not all readers do this, but most of us are well-versed in managing two paperbacks, one e-book and one hardcover at the same time, and knowing exactly what is going on in each one of them.
5. Regularly freak out over how many books there are in the world (and how little time)
Do you know that there are 13o million books in the world? And even if I read 100 books an year for 70 years, I can only read 7000, and that’s not even 0.1% of all the books! Thank heavens I don’t let myself go down this rabbit hole too often.
6. Obsess about which books to take on a trip (and swap out clothes or other necessary items for books)
Books are an essential item on our packing lists. And when it comes to choosing just a few books for the next few days, the choice is almost impossible. What if I finish all of these 5 books in the next 2 days?!!
7. Go into a book hangover after finishing a great book
It is like having to say goodbye to a very dear friend. Its hard 😢
8. Have intense emotional reactions while reading
This one is not exactly weird, but for some reason still startles people if I laugh out loud or let out a groan when reading… I mean, do people not know that books can be in fact MORE EMOTIONAL than visual media?
9. Using anything as a bookmark
Receipts, credit cards, bits of paper…anything works. Because dog-earing is not OK, and there are never enough bookmarks (or they keep on mysteriously disappearing)
10. Anticipating “mail-day” even though you’re already reading three books at once.
And your TBR list is never ending and your shelves are groaning under the weight of all the books you plan to read. Because there is no such thing as ENOUGH BOOKS!
Which of these do you relate with?
What are some of your weird bookish habits?
Let me know in comments below!